The Compton List
Original Compton pre-war records perished in a factory fire, during the World War Two Blitz
The Compton List was an attempt to recreate not only a master installation list for the period, but to open up the field of research to include every detail of these fascinating organs.
Accordingly, there were sub-listings, covering Installation Facts and Figures, Chronology, Chamber Locations, Illuminated Surround and Wood Console Styles, Wood Tibias, English Horns, Solo Cellos, Melotones, and a Pre-War 'A' Number List.
In its final form, The Compton List also contained a number of monochrome illustrations. The range included some notable console photographs (some of which may be previewed by clicking the above link), but for a sample preview of a Solo Cello unit or a Series Two Melotone unit, with a description, specially written for this web site, click on these links.
Not simply a list, the work also existed as a living publication during Ivor Buckingham's lifetime - ever continuing to record the movements of ranks and components, either as an instrument intact, or, in all too many instances, as parts from organs long since broken down.
The Compton List did not include information on Theatrones and Church Organs, although all known pre-war job numbers are listed.
Unfortunately it is not possible to offer printed copied of The Compton List at present, or in the immediate future. Work is ongoing to digitise more of the documentation and compile an electronic database which can generate the main part of the list in printed form, complete with the latest updates. This will be a lengthy project relying on enough spare time, and the help and co-operation of others.
However, if you have a specific query about Compton organs, or a particular theatre organ installation, please contact us, as we will be glad to offer any help that we can.
For further details, please contact us by e-mail.
Factory test assembly of the Plaza, Birkenhead Compton, prior to despatch
The console shop 1952
A number of 347 and 348 Electrones in this photograph, taken in the early months of 1952. There is also a glimpse what may be the first ever 352 Melotone console.
On the pipe organ front, a Miniatura may be seen in the background, while the completed console in the foreground is destined for St Lawrence Parish Church, Pudsey.
Tuned percussions, stacked in the store, bear testimony to organs removed from theatres and taken back into stock around this time.